Thursday, June 24, 2010

All Shades of Excited

So I was contacted by one of the girls who is in one of the advanced classes, and I have had the pleasure of performing within a group, a short time ago. She and another girl in her class are signing up for a performance in San Jose for the latter part of September, and they are hoping that I would be interested in joining them to make their dance a trio. I am honored and flattered that they would consider using me. August will be marking my one year anniversary of dancing and to show off how much I have grown, I will jumping to a level that takes years to do.

Now don't get me wrong, I know I will still be inadequate with somethings and it can't be helped. It will take a lot of hard work and dedication to do what I am about to do. In no way does this mean I will be advancing in the classes I am doing now since this is considered an extra curricular activity. But as far as skill and expanding my list of dance moves, this is a perfect opportunity that I definitely don't want to pass up. Both girls are willing to break down the moves and work with me since this is all completely new in my world. These girls have some experience with balancing, such as swords and trays, but in this dance we are balancing jugs. Yep, new for everyone since each of us have never really tried any one aspect of a Tunisian dance. So there will be a lot of jug balancing and twisting that I have never done, one girl has a little experience and the other hasn't done this type of dancing, but does have the experience with balancing. So it's an odd combination of lacking skills from all of us.

Either way, it will be fun to try and learn. We plan to meet twice a week starting sometime after next week. Each time we meet, we will be working on matching costumes, choreography, balancing, dance techniques, and planning the trip to San Jose, California. It's not far, only about 3 hours or so from our location.

So as my current class comes to a close next week and we have the month of July off, I look forward to a new challenge during that time and working on my solo piece for a student party for the earlier part of September. My solo piece is coming along slowly. I am almost at the half way mark of the choreography. Once I get that all written down, it will be time to start dancing through the steps to be sure it will flow and make any changes/fine tuning required.

I am also slowly making some way in my costuming that I will be wearing in October for the Hanford Renaissance Faire in Hanford, California. Most of it is completed, I am just currently sewing beads onto a piece and it is becoming very tedious. I know I will have it done before October, but it is very slow progress. But the end result will be wonderful and it adds more to the costume already, in a visual sense. Since I am facing finals next week for some classes, the next 2 weeks off will allow me some time to make some head way in getting the piece done and I look forward to that.

Until next time.....

No comments:

Post a Comment